What good are beautiful dishes without great food? It’s like a gorgeous dress with no one to wear it. So I say, put on that gorgeous dress and make some yummy food! (or wait till after you’ve cooked something to put it on because aprons can be liars.)
We thought we would include some recipes that we’ve actually tried and share them with you. We don’t create any recipes, mind you. We’re foodies but we’re not chefies. But we can tell you what we like and then put them on our plates to show you that you too can be just like us! I know! It’s incredible!! 🙂
My trusty sidekick, Yoko, brought us a recipe called Chinese Stir Fry with Eggplant and Peppers that is adapted from one she found on a Japanese website . Can you guess what ingredients we would need? Yes, Chicken, Eggplant, and Peppers…. It’s a genius name.
CHINESE STIR FRY WITH EGGPLANT & PEPPERS
(serves 2 – 3 people)
1 skinless boneless chicken breast (7 – 9 oz.)
1 large green bell pepper
1 small eggplant (9 – 11 oz.)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or substitute potato starch)
canola oil (or oil of choice for cooking)
salt for seasoning
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons cooking sake
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
1. Wash vegetables and cut chicken, bell pepper and eggplant into bite-sized pieces.
2. Let chicken pieces sit in Marinade for at least 5 minutes. The longer the better!
3. Remove from marinade and sprinkle starch on chicken.
4. Heat oil in pan and add chicken, cooking at medium heat just a couple of minutes on each side till no longer pink. Remove from pan
5. Add eggplant to the remaining oil (add more oil if needed) and stir fry at high heat for 1 – 2 minutes.
6. Add peppers to pan with a dash of salt. Cook at medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes. We like the peppers to maintain a little crunch!
7. Add cooked chicken back to the pan and add Sauce. Combine thoroughly and bring to a boil at high heat. 8. Serve on a beautiful plate that equals all the effort you’ve made slaving over a hot stove. Add a drizzle of sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds. Serve immediately. ENJOY!
Featured Bowl: Sendan Tokusa 6″ diameter bowlThis versatile bowl is perfect for serving up some stir fry! The Sendan Tokusa series features a beautiful and intricate take on the traditional Tokusa design. Blue lines radiate from the center of the of the bowl that reach out to the rim. The details on this pattern are impeccable and perfect for any table setting. A design favorite!